From stoner talk to getting angry with hackers, we count 10 crazy messages hidden in video games’ code.
10 – Violence, Condoms and Drugs,
- Tucked away in Boot Camp’s code for the commodore 64 is a colourful message left by a ‘Joe Booth’ where he shouts out to his co-workers friends and family in a bizarre and sometimes unintelligible way.
- One part that sticks out is ‘hi to all me mates (yorks. For friends not a make of condoms !!!!), I hope I’m not alone in saying that the second half makes literally no sense. I tried googling Yorks but all I found were peppermint patties.
- Then there’s an off-hand remark talking about his ‘girlies’ and how two of them beat him up, and then he talks about a man named ‘puss’ who helps him get stoned.
9 – Burning Down the House,
- This one is a list of credits found hidden inside the BIOS’s code for every 3DO console ever manufactured and it has some lines that really let your mind wander thanks to the lack of context.
- The first eyebrow raising comment is an apparent quote from Dale Luck that reads ‘You mean my house burned down last month and I never noticed?’, I get that game programmers often have intense crunch times but this seems incredibly implausible.
- Then there’s the last line that just says ‘And all those who were not in the building at 2am when the cops showed up’, I can only imagine why the cops would turn up at 2, I’m assuming it was because they were too loud, but I can also think of a few other reasons.
8 – Caps Lock for Tossers,
- A dummy file used in A Prehistoric Tale for the Amiga had a strange note left inside by someone called Richard, unlike the others it’s short enough to read out so here it is.
- THIS GAME WAS CODED IN A VERY SHORT TIME, AND WE HOPE THE PLAY FUN WILL BE PROPORTIONAL TO THE FUN WE HAD CODING (THOUGH SOMETIMES THE FUN WAS LESS WELL, THAT’S IT, ACTUALLY. TIM IS A TOSSER SOMETIMES, BUT SO AM I (I AM RICHARD). BYE!
- It’s worth noting that the whole thing was written in caps lock for some reason, I thought it was a limitation of the Amiga but there’s other Amiga messages with lower case used so I guess he wanted to turn on cruise control.
7 – Dusty Bug,
- Ian Martin left a clue for a cheat code that was hidden away in ACE 2’s code for the Commodore 64, he also flat out insulted a company called Ocean for some reason.
- The clue for the cheat code was ‘IF YOU ENTER THE NAME OF MY HAMSTER ON THE HIGH SCORE TABLE, PLAYER ONE WILL BE IMMORTAL A REAL HACKER WILL FIND HER NAME FROM THE CODE’
- He was overly passive agresssive when referring to Ocean, he thanked them for not releasing Topgun on the C64 and then thanked the programmers for doing such a bad job.
6 – Fuck Off,
- This one’s found in Airbrush for the ZX Spectrum and it’s short and sweet, well actually it’s not sweet in the slightest and is also completely useless.
- The message reads ‘THIS PROGRAM WAS WRITTEN IN ITS ENTIRETY BY ADAM DENNING – AND IN A HURRY! I WOULD THEREFORE APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD FUCK OFF FROM DISASSEMBLING IT.’
- I mean if you need to disassemble the code in order to read this message I doubt a simple message like this would convince you to stop.