From lethal snack dispensers to out of control gun crimes, we count 10 facts that will shock your pants off.
10 –Vending Machines of Doom
- When you think of the most dangerous predators in the world, the last thing you would think of is the unsuspecting vending machine.
- In the United States, it is twice more likely that you will be killed by a vending machine than by a shark. The statistical risk of fatal shark attacks on the average American is 1 in 250 million, whereas the odds of you meeting your demise at the hand of a snack dispenser is 1 in 112 million.
- Neither option would be a great way to die, but I’ll bet you think twice about whether you really need that bag of Cheetos next time you see a vending machine.
9 – Razor Acid
- The human body is a shocking powerhouse of abilities, but the sheer power of your stomach alone is insane.
- The acid in your stomach – which breaks up your food every day, is so lethal it could dissolve razor blades. That means the lining of your stomach is basically tougher than steel.
- This is a hypothetical example though, so please do NOT go around ingesting sharp pointy things which can rip you up inside and kill you to death.
8 – Drinking Breathing Mammals
- When humans were being invented by evolution, we missed out on a pretty nifty biological feature that every other mammal has.
- Humans are the only mammals that can’t breathe and swallow at the same time. This is a problem when sometimes we try to do both and end up choking on our food. About nine months after we’re born, our voice boxes drop, allowing us to be able to talk. Our voice-boxes are more sophisticated than other animals which is why we can talk and they can’t.
- Breathing and eating would be pretty cool to do simultaneously, but being able to talk is probably better.
7 – Fizzy Drink Kills Your Bones
- We like to call our species ‘evolved’ but then we do things like consume massive amounts of beverages which are slowly killing us.
- The average soda contains the ingredient phosphoric acid. It’s a substance that can allegedly suck the calcium straight out of your bones and burn the enamel off your teeth. Soda can potentially lower your bone mineral density and lead to osteoporosis.
- It’s pretty common knowledge that soft drinks are bad for you, but for some reason we can’t seem to get enough of those delicious, fizzy, bone-killing, sugary drinks of death.
6 – New Cells
- Luckily for us humans who like to bombard our bodies with questionable food and drink choices, we are physically reborn every seven years.
- With the exception of a small group of cells including our brains, most of the cells in our bodies will completely regenerate every 7-15 years. The cells in our gut which battle the razor-chomping stomach acid only last an average of 5 days – but the rest of our body is generally no older than 15 years at any time.
- The outer layer of skin technically replaces itself every two weeks, more frequently than a snake, although thankfully we don’t shed it all at once.