From one-upping people’s stories to being an obnoxious train passenger, we count 10 things you do that make people hate you.
10 – One-Upping
- If someone tells you how cute their pet dog is, and you immediately show them pictures of your taller, more handsome dog, you could be making people hate you.
- ‘One-upping’ is something people do in order to show off and assert their superiority over other people. No matter what cool story you have to tell, a ‘one-upper’ will always have a story better than yours. They don’t like it when other people are in the spotlight because they’re totally insecure about themselves.
- Sure, you might have done some cool stuff in your life, but chill out for two seconds and let other people feel important.
9 – Walking Slowly
- A rapid-fire way to make strangers instantly want to punch you in your face is by walking in front of them – really slowly.
- If you decide to go for a slow, pleasant amble through the streets of any city at rush hour, you might find the scurrying crowds giving you some serious evil-eye. Even the most patient and friendly people can instantly morph into raging assholes when somebody is blocking the footpath. For the love of god! Just move to one side!
- In fact, the sight of anyone doing anything slowly when you’re in a rush is unbearable. Eat your goddamn sandwich faster, don’t you know I’ve got deadlines to meet!?
8 – Correcting People’s Grammar
- A recent study has revealed that if this image annoys the crap out of you, you might actually be a total jerk.
- People who constantly correct other peoples’ grammar have been associated with negative personality traits like close-mindedness and being overly disagreeable. People just don’t like to be told they’re wrong – surprise surprise. In an age of auto-correct, Googling and spell-checkers you kinda have to go out of your way to spell things wrong these days.
- Call me a jerk, but language should be considered a precious, sacred tool – not a toilet for your keyboards.
7 – Being an Activist
- Speaking of trouble-makers, if you believe in something so much that you won’t rest until every man, woman and child knows your opinion – you could be making people hate you.
- Whether it’s feminism, religion, animal rights or your favourite character on ‘Friends’, no one likes to have opinions shoved down their throat. Activists are seen as troublemakers, but you can thank those same rebellious activists for fighting for things like equal-rights, abolishing slavery and saving the environment.
- Unfortunately, no one likes to be told what to do, even if they know it’s the right thing to do.
6 –Talking Too Much
- Knowing when someone is interested in your stories, or whether they’re just being polite is a pretty important social skill.
- People who can’t tell when they’re boring somebody to death, and insist on telling you every detail of that whacky dream they once had about a pile of string and a bus stop, are annoying as hell.
- Body language isn’t that hard to read, especially if the person you’re talking to starts to walk away or fall asleep.