5 – Hatshepsut,
- This is a long story of mystery – what happened to the mummified corpse of this once prominent female pharaoh of the 18th Dynasty of Egypt?
- Famous archaeologist Howard Carter discovered her royal tomb in 1902, but when he opened the sarcophagus, it was empty
- A hundred years later, a team of investigators attempt to reveal the answer by looking inside a separate tomb to find a unknown female mummy – by comparing the tooth with one they KNEW belonged to the famed pharaoh, they were able to conclude it was indeed, her
4 – Ya mum.
- She fat.
3 – Rosalia Lombardo,
- This two year old girl was found in the Capuchin Catacombs in Italy, using a natural preservative as well as chemicals in her bloodstream formalin, zinc salts, alcohol and others to allow an almost unbelievable amount of mummified preservation
- Most of the details come from the hand-written memoir of the embalmer, Alfredo Salafia, who recorded the exact process used to keep her from decomposing
- It’s believed the use of zinc salts is what was most responsible for the level of preservation
2 – Ramesses II,
- This guy is mega famous in the records of history, a pharaoh who ruled for six decades and lived until he was 90, fathering almost a hundred kids
- Though he was initially buried in the fabled Valley of Kings, he was secretly moved to avoid looters, and instead he was found in 1881 in a secret royal cache
- Because it had begun to deteriorate from a fungal infection, it was flown to Paris for treatment – sadly, they couldn’t resuscitate him
1 – King Tutankhamen
- The boy king, who ruled Egypt at age 9 for a total of 10 years – he was basically unknown, a fleeting king barely recorded in history
- What made him famous was his discovery – a tomb relatively untouched by looters, filled to the brim with ancient treasures, important artifacts, shrines, masks and bits of invaluable history
- Howard Carter the same man who discovered the tomb of Hatshepsut found this particular wealth of treasure, but his partner and financer Lord Carnarvon was killed by a mosquito bite, prompting the “Curse of the Pharaohs”