4 – Blackmailing Wife’s Lovers,
- Attorney Ted Roberts found out his wife had been cheating on him with five different men. Instead of getting a divorce, he stayed with her and used proof of her infidelity to blackmail her lovers.
- The men were all married corporate executives so their lives would basically fall to shit if they were found out. Ted knew this and threatened to go public – unless the men made charitable donations to the Bank of Ted.
- By then Ted’s wife had recommitted to him and the couple managed to extort $155,000 from the men. That is until one of Ted’s associates found evidence of what they were up to and turned them over to the authorities. They were charged with blackmail and extortion.
3 – Joe Francis,
- I bet you thought there was nothing more to Paris Hilton than handbag Chihuahuas and reality TV appearances. Well, it turns out the airhead socialite actually foiled a blackmail attempt!
- The target was Joe Francis, the man behind the video phenomenon ‘Girls Gone Wild’. “Woo! Spring Break!” In 2004, a masked intruder broke into Joe’s house, tied him up and stripped him naked. He then posed Joe with a dildo and took compromising photos. Poor Joe had a gun put to his head and was made to tell a camera that he was ravenous for the D. Like Liberace gay. Pretty fucked up.
- After a naked joyride, Joe broke free and notified the police. But his ordeal wasn’t over. The home invader soon contacted Joe and demanded $500,000 or he’d go public with the tape.
- Enter everyone’s favourite crime fighter, Paris Hilton! Joe and Paris met months later at some party for rich assholes. Paris told him she’d overheard a conversation in a club. She knew Joe’s blackmailer was Darnell Riley, a dirtbag who’d wormed his way into the social elite after spending his adolescence behind bars. Police used this information to charge Darnell and he was sent straight back to prison. Then Paris was like “Like, oh my god! Victory margaritas for everyone!”
2 – Mistaken Identity,
- A young man blackmailed a complete stranger after she mistakenly sent him nude photos meant for someone else. The thirty-six-year-old Indian woman was missing her husband, who was away on a business trip. She exchanged a few text messages with him and noticed he was feeling frisky. He asked her to send some naughty pictures and she complied – having no idea this man was not actually her husband.
- It turned out the phone company had mistakenly issued her husband’s phone number to some twenty-year-old horn dog. The husband hadn’t formally cancelled or switched his number; he just hadn’t used it in three months, so his phone provider thought yep, okay, we should totally assign this number to someone else without telling the original owner.
- The story should have ended there, with this lucky perv taking it no further. Instead he steered the situation into dark territories, demanding the woman send him 10,000 rupees or he’d upload the images online.
- Fortunately it didn’t come to that. Police were able to track him using his phone number and he was promptly arrested. It turned out he was also the son of a police constable. Some good values being instilled there.
1 – Bad Romance,
- What do you get when you take a university romance and add adultery and blackmail? One fucked up situation. Months after meeting her, a guy slept with his girlfriend’s mother, then threatened to ruin her marriage unless she complied with his demands.
- Katia Masood met Akashdeep Singh while studying at Australia’s Macquarie University. Things were going great, so Katia brought him home to meet her parents. It turned out Katia’s mum Anita was so fond of the charming bastard that she ended up in bed with him.
- It would’ve been a one-off mistake – if Akashadeep hadn’t filmed By threatening to make the footage public, Akashadeep forced Anita to take him on long drives, pay him thousands of dollars and give him sex whenever he wanted. He physically threatened her and promised to ruin their lives if she refused.
- This went on for a whole year until eventually Anita was forced to own up to her mistake and involve the cops. Akashadeep was charged with blackmail and intimidation. A magistrate suggested Akashadeep must’ve had some mental health issues. Sounds like the understatement of the fucking century!