- From being hit by a meteorite to having your five of your homes destroyed by hurricanes, we count seven of the unluckiest people who ever lived!
7 – Jason and Jenny Cairns-Lawrence,
- English travellers Jason and Jenny Cairns-Lawrence have had more tussles with terrorists than 24’s Jack Bauer. They were unlucky enough to be at the epicentre of the September 11 bombings and went on to witness two more attacks in the following years.
- Not only did the unlucky couple have their New York holiday interrupted by the worst terrorist attack in history, but they were also in London during the devastating 2005 London Three years later, they went to exotic Mumbai and witnessed another terror attack that took the lives of hundreds.
- That’s three devastating once-in-a-lifetime experiences in the space of eight years. I bet staying at home for the rest of their lives is starting to look really good to them.
6 – Ann Hodges,
- On an ordinary day in 1954, Ann Hodges was having a nice relaxing nap on her couch when she was struck by a meteorite. Okay, so it was only a small piece of one, and she survived, but Anne is still the only person in recorded history to have been hit by a meteorite. This makes her statistically very very
- The tiny fragment of chrondite rock actually broke through Anne’s roof and struck her in the hip. Once she’d finished swearing at the gods, she realised the hunk of space rock might make her very rich. It might have too – until the United States Air Force swooped in via helicopter and confiscated it.
- She eventually got it back after a gruelling legal battle, but then her landlady tried to claim it. All the public attention became too much for Ann, so she donated the meteorite to the Alabama Museum of Natural History.
5 – Man at Berlin Zoo,
- No matter how shit a day you’re having, just remember that it could always be shittier – err, worse. There could, for instance, be footage of you on the internet getting projectile pooed on by an elephant. That’s what happened to an unfortunate guy visiting Berlin Zoo.
- The tourist didn’t do anything to provoke the animal. It seems the elephant just decided he’d look better covered in faeces. Such wise creatures…
4 – Melanie Martinez,
- Melanie Martinez is the queen of home owner misfortune. She lost five houses to five hurricanes! Because she lived on a Louisiana flood plain, Melanie’s homes were devastated by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, Juan in 1985, George in 1998 and Katrina in 2005.
- Fortunately, reality TV came to her rescue, as the producers of a renovation show had heard of her bad luck and offered to help. Melanie’s home was generously made over with a new kitchen, cupboards and top of the line appliances.
- But then, on the seventh anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the category-1 hurricane ‘Isaac’ swooped in and dealt her home another devastating blow. You could almost hear the voice on the wind saying, ‘No, Melanie… You can’t have nice things…’