From wearing t-shirts to selling virtual real estate in an online game, we count nine of the laziest ways people have gotten rich!
9 – Wearing T-Shirts,
- These days companies will stop at nothing to get their shiny new product into your sweaty palms. The good news is that consumers can actually profit from this… if they don’t mind whoring themselves out a bit!
- In 2009, a guy named Jason Sadler set up a website that let companies pay him to wear shirts with their branding on it. He charged a different amount based on what day of the year it was. So, on January 1st he charged one dollar and on the 31st of December he charged three hundred and sixty-five dollars.
- In his first year Jason the human billboard made $83,000. The following year he more than doubled this. His operation grew so quickly that he had to hire a whole team of t-shirt wearers. Jason was soon earning six figures a year – and literally all he had to do was put on a shirt in the morning. Genius.
8 – Metal Detectors,
- You know when you go to the beach and see a sad old guy walking around the dunes with a metal detector? You think ‘Man, I’m glad that old fossil is getting exercise but I wouldn’t be caught dead searching for pennies like some hobo in the trash!’
- Well, you might want to rethink your stance because you can actually make some serious coin doing this! Plus strolling along the beach sure beats slaving away at a conventional job!
- Mary Hannaby is a great example. Every Sunday the British housewife went on long romantic walks with her metal detector. One fateful day she heard a beep and started digging. She ended up uncovering a fifteenth century gold treasure worth over 250,000 pounds! The piece is one of only three in the whole world and depicts the Holy Trinity.
7 – Digital Real Estate,
- Everyone knows real estate is a great way to make money, but these days the real money’s in digital real estate – also known as imaginary real estate. Take Ailin Graef, an entrepreneurial gamer who’s made millions of dollars selling virtual real estate in the online game Second Life.
- Ailin cracked this seven-figure mark way back in the early 2000s and her operation has since grown into a full-fledged multimedia enterprise. She has more than eighty employees managing thousands of digital rental properties, and her studio, Anshe Chung Studios, is the biggest third party developer of virtual property ever.
- Obviously a lot of work goes into running an operation like that, so it might be a bit of a stretch calling her ‘lazy’. But let’s keep some perspective: at the end of the day she’s still sitting in her pyjamas selling imaginary space in a computer game.
6 – Filling Out Paid Surveys,
- Do you like giving your opinion at every opportunity? Think Apple products are overpriced and that Facebook should stop changing its damn layout so often!? Well, you’re in luck, as plenty of companies out there want to pay you for your juicy opinions.
- Simply sign up to a reputable paid survey site and enjoy a stress-free life of… err… mindlessly filling out forms! It’ll take awhile, but you can easily rack up some decent money if you stick with it.
- It seems companies can’t wait to scoop all the delicious thoughts and feelings out of you and turn them into cold hard cash.