From dark and bizarre easter eggs to Disneyland’s strange employee policies, we count fifteen disturbing secrets about Disney and their films.
15 – Scar’s Undignified End,
- Everyone remembers Scar, Simba’s sly uncle and traitor to King Mufasa. Scar’s implied death comes at the end of the film, but the character also makes a disturbing cameo in another Disney film.
- At the beginning of The Lion King, Mufasa asks Zazu what should be done about Scar. Zazu says, sarcastically, that he’d make a handsome throw rug. ‘Just think,’ Zazu says, ‘whenever he gets dirty you could take him out and beat him!’ Dark stuff, Disney.
- Three years later, Disney released Hercules, a movie where Scar reappears as an actual throw rug! It’s unusual for Disney to make light of a character’s death – even a traitorous villain – which makes this one dark, creepy Easter egg.
14 – Aroused Bishop in The Little Mermaid,
- The Little Mermaid is about that special adhesive that holds all of Disney’s sandwiches together: true love. It also has an inappropriate hidden message.
- In the film, Prince Eric decides to marry a complete stranger because he likes the sound of her voice. But he’s actually marrying the evil drag queen, Ursula, who is disguised as a hot chick. (What a wedding night that’ll be.)
- As Ursula and Eric step to the altar, the old bishop marrying them seems a little too excited. He has a wide smile and a bonerific bulge beneath his robes.
- The animators claim the trouser-mountain is the priest’s knee, but Disney digitally removed the offending pants-tent from all DVD releases, suggesting it may have been more than that.
13 – Franken-Beast and Gaston’s Death Omen,
- Beauty and the Beast supervising animator Glen Keane has revealed the Beast is actually several different animals thrown together.
- Like some Frankenstein monstrosity, the Beast has the head and horns of a buffalo, the brow of a gorilla, the body of a bear, the mane of a lion, the tusks of a boar, and the legs and tail of a wolf.
- He even reportedly has a rainbow-coloured backside, but only Belle knows about that. Seriously.
- Another disturbing Beauty and the Beast secret occurs after the climactic rooftop showdown between Gaston and the Beast. As Gaston plummets to his death, human skulls can be seen in his eyes. Creepy.
12 – Mysterious Code in all Disney Films,
- Okay, conspiracy theorists, debunk this: a secret code has been discovered in nearly every Disney-Pixar film ever made. The code is ‘A113’ and is often tucked away in the corner of frames, kind of like how killers often hide evidence in plain sight.
- According to the official explanation, A113 is the room at the California Institute of Arts where many Disney and Pixar animators learned their craft.
- However, there could be more to it. After all, rumours that Walt Disney was an anti-Semite, an FBI informant and that he had his own corpse cryogenically frozen linger to this day.
11 – Nudity in The Rescuers,
- In the original video release of The Rescuers, there was a secret photo of a topless woman hidden in two frames. When this was discovered, Disney had to recall 3.4 million copies of the movie and issue an apology.
- The picture appears in the background as Bianca and Bernard fly through New York. These are only two frames in a film that runs at thirty per second, so it’s kind of a blink-and-you’ll-miss-it thing. However, this is a children’s movie, and parents who discovered it were outraged.
- Apparently it was a joke by the animators, their version of a Playboy centrefold. I hear their careers centre-folded.